Can't stop eating?
Updated: Dec 30, 2022
Anyone slightly overdone things the last couple of days?
My weakness is Christmas Cake. 🤦♀️ Yes, very much like this one above! Luckily it is nearly all gone!
A common dieting cycle that I’m sure a lot will resonate with is eating the ‘wrong thing’ or over indulging and believing that you have totally undone all your good work, believing you don’t have any willpower, and you might as well just eat all the cookies, cake, chocolate, etc etc.
Is this you right now? If it is, just know that you are not alone. I see so many clients who have struggled with this for years and I used to be this way. I now help clients instil dietary habits and a mindset around food that means they no longer want to eat all the chocolate or cake.
If you are feeling the same here’s a couple of immediate strategies that might help.
1) Connect back with yourself. Reflect on whether eating all the chocolate, or all the Christmas cake, is really what you want for yourself. What is your bigger vision for yourself. How do you want to feel. What do you want to be able to do. How do you want to be. Visualise this.
2) Reflect on the real reason you are eating. Most of the time, after the first bite, or slice, it is shame, emotions, negative self talk that keeps the need to eat all the chocolate or cake, alive. Now would be a good time to think about this. What will help you overcome this? (If it runs deep, do you need professional support? )
3) I find a circuit breaker helps. An activity that brings you back to your values and what you REALLY want for yourself. For example a run/brisk walk/ walk in nature / some self care, laughing with friends or family, a hobby you enjoy. NOT something that punishes but something that nourishes your body and mind.
4) Schedule regular activities in your calendar that nourish your mind and body and get you in the right mindset to make the choices you want. Have a brain storm of the type of things that could be for you.
5) Remember you are only human. The best of us over indulge. 😇 It doesn’t have to sabotage everything and compromise your health goals. Just accept you may have eaten too much and move on………....
6) Do not restrict yourself. Relying solely on willpower just doesn’t work. We only have so much willpower reserve that will eventually fail. Unbalanced blood sugar, inadequate nourishment and restriction will only drive cravings and overeating. Come back to FILLING UP on 3 meals of adequate protein, lots of colour and healthy fat to break this vicious cycle.
You may have struggled with the dieting roller coaster for years but there really are some very simple things you can do to shift that mindset. It is possible to eat the cake and progress with your health goals at the same time. It is entirely possible to enjoy the food you eat, feel satisfied and nourished and know that nothing is restricted. You can enjoy a treat or even slightly indulge…....and move on without getting totally derailed from what you really want for yourself.
*****The first thing starts with being lenient on yourself. Negative self talk will drive negative emotions and negative actions. ***
If you would like more information don’t hesitate to get in touch with any questions, queries or support!
Click here to chat via WhatsApp Chat
Helping you live a healthier, happier life
BSc (Hons), PgDip, DIP ION, mBANT
CNHC registered Nutritionist & Health Coach
1-2-1 Health & Well being consultations and packages
T. 07971 862324