A bit of colourful motivation!
Did you know that all the amazing colours in fruit and vegetables contain over 25,000 different phytonutrients, plant chemicals, that when eaten help boost your immune system, promote healthy hormone metabolism, eliminate toxins from the body, contain essential enzymes, and kill off cancer cells!
Eating a typical western diet of beige food mostly made of processed wheat products, just won't cut it when all these colours and phytonutrients were put in these foods to protect and defend your health.
Some super benefits of all those many different fruits and vegetables;
- Contains both soluble, insoluble and fermentable fibres essential for good health, healthy digestion and disease prevention.
- Provides diversity! – Key to a healthy microbiome and good health. Did you know there's around 300,000 different edible plants, and we only eat about 200 of them.
- Provide vitamins and minerals essential for optimal function of your body and mind, physical and mental health.
- Protects against certain cancers
- Reduces the risk of diabetes
- Lowers the risk of macular degeneration, an age-related condition that can impair vision
- Improve skin quality
- Decrease risk of heart disease and stroke
- Soaks up damaging free radicals linked to many illness including dementia, autoimmune diseases, cataracts, diabetes, cancer and lots more.
So if you are not sure where to start or you've gone off track with your healthy intentions, start adding the colourful stuff in. This will help your health in every way AND help you lose weight and maintain a healthy weight.
The government guidelines recommend 5 per day but more recent research suggests 10 per day is optimal. Aim for 1 - 3 portions of fruit per day and 7 - 10 portions of vegetables. You really can't overdo it on the vegetables unless you have digestive issues. If this is the case, increase it gradually so not to exacerbate uncomfortable symptoms.
Some ways to get more colour into your life.
- Add fresh berries to cereal, granola or porridge at breakfast (A good one to put in container and take it with you)
- Have green leaves, spinach, tomatoes, pepper or mushrooms with eggs in the morning.
- Make a smoothie with fruit, vegetables and yoghurt like this one below. (Mix and match the ingredients)
1 cup Spinach
2 sticks Celery
½ cup Mango or berries
½ cup greek yoghurt
A good protein source, nuts, nut butter or powder
Water to cover
- Cut up carrot, pepper, cucumber or Celery to eat as snacks and on the go.
- Mix fruit into yogurt
- Make a stir-fry with broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, snap peas, or anything you like.
- Always add extra sides of vegetables with your main meal.
- Use chopped vegetables in pasta sauces or lasagne.
- Grill a mix of vegetables, broccoli, pepper, onion to have with a chicken or salmon steak.
" I always say if you think you have enough, add some more"
One of the most simplest things that really will make a big difference to your health.
Good luck, and if you have any questions you know where I am! :)
My 12 week health & vibrancy programme includes 12 weeks of 1-2-1 health and wellbeing coaching, regular consultations, and weekly coaching and Q & A sessions, to help you Stop Wishing and Start Doing. Click here for more information.